- Ketchup1 CupsPick which kind you prefer, I like to use something that is organic because there are less freaky ingredients
- Mustard2 TablespoonsThe tablespoons are an estimate
- White vinegarJust a splashYou can also use apple cider vinegar
- Brown SugarAs much as you like
- Red Pepper Falkesas much as you like
- Chipotle (ground)As much as you likeI use this to add some flavor and smokiness but be careful not to add too much or it may kind of light your mouth on fire
- HoneyA good squeezeThis is also as much as you like
- Salt and PepperTo your taste
After you mix all these ingredients together into a pot, warm it until it thickens nicely on your stove top at a low heat. Then apply to what ever you like!
Here is the background to this BBQ sauce…
A couple of years ago I decided I no longer wanted to purchase BBQ sauce anymore. I got this thought that I could make my own and then I would know exactly what was going into it. I don’t like high fructose corn syrup and that stuff is added to EVERYTHING. Don’t get me started on the commercials that support it. GRRRR
ANYHOO, I looked up a recipe and found one on the food network’s website but it was just far too vinegary for my taste. Since then I have been experimenting to make my own and honestly it is kind of amazing. Start off with a cup or two of your preferred ketchup and add different seasonings and spices to get the blend you want.
When I became an adult I had no idea that you could make things like BBQ sauce on your own. I now know that I can, it doesn’t cost me any real money other than what I already have in my pantry and I can feel much better about what is in my BBQ sauce.