- Milk2 CupsCan be whole, skim, HWC, mixture...it all works, but I use skim or 2% milk
- Water2 Cups
- Kosher Salt1 1/2 Teaspoons
- Corse Ground Cornmeal1 CupsYou can purchase bulk grits, in the photo, I have a box that I found at Whole Foods
- Black Pepper1/2 Teaspoons
- Unsalted butter4 TeaspoonsYou can use the amounts of butter you want, but if you can please don't use salted as you cannot control the amount of salt going into the recipe
- Sharp Cheddar4 OuncesI like to take a block of cheddar and measure it on a kitchen scale
Yes I am from the south. One could say I am a GirlRaisedInTheSouth (GRITS). Get it? Saw that on a shirt one day. I found this recipe online from Alton Brown. He is amazing, honestly, I watch him and drool.
Before I discovered this recipe, I never added cheese or milk. When I told my momma about it she was shocked, when I fed it to her she wanted to know how I did it.
Listed below is his recipe and the link to his site. Here are my differences, if I don’t have whole milk, I will use skim, or 2% or heck, I have used heavy whipping cream. I always get my grits from Whole Foods in bulk. Yes they do sell them in locations other than the South. My other difference is that it NEVER takes me this long to make it. NEVER. But I live at a high altitude so test for yourself.
Here is the original link from Mr Alton Brown